After a full month of Christmas sewing I was eager to clean out the sewing room and start making a few things for the girls. While I was at Joann’s looking for flannel for Miss E’s nightgown, I ran across the perfect bird print, it screamed “April! I’m perfect! Take me home and sew lots of little dresses with me!” So I did.
I made two Geranium dresses. A tiny one for a friend who just gave birth to a sweet baby girl, and one for Miss P. I swear, every time I make a new dress for her I think, “This looks so long and big; it isn’t going to fit her.” But it always does; proof that she is growing faster than I care to believe.
Look at the look on her face. ”Mom… again with the picture taking.”
I was catching up on some blog reading a few weekends ago, when I came across this post from one of my favorite sewing blogs Made by Rae. Rae was showing some of the things she had made for her son Hugo (who is just a little bit younger than Miss P) and I fell in love with the pair of yellow pants she made for him. She used her own Parsley Pants pattern but I decided to use a pattern I already owned, one that I made for Miss E when she was just a little thing.
I used the Basic Pocket Pant pattern from Meg McElwee’s book Growing up Sew Liberated. Growing Up Sew Liberated is a must-have sewing book (in my humble opinion). If you have little people in your house and you like to sew, then you need it in your library.
There is nothing I don’t like about these pants. It’s a simple pattern made special by all the little details that are added. The contrasting cuffs and waistband and the bias-tape pockets are a winning combination. So many ways to stylize this pattern. I used two different fabrics. The main fabric is a Heather Bailey print for Free Spirit, called Primrose. The contrasting fabric is a Robert Kaufman chambray. The chambray is extremely light-weight, and I hesitated to use if for the cuffs and waistband, but I added some medium weight interfacing to those pieces and it worked out just fine.
Because we’re still in the middle of winter, I decided to line the pants with fleece. I had some green fleece in my fabric stash, so I used it to line the inside of the pants. There’s the right way to line pants, and then there’s the way I line pants.
Before I started to sew the pattern pieces together, I cut out a separate pair of fleece pant legs. Then, I carefully pinned the fleece pieces to the wrong side of the main pant leg pieces. Next, I very carefully surged the fleece to the main fabric. I took my time and made sure that both fabrics were perfectly smooth, so there wouldn’t be any puckers or ripples in the pants once I started sewing them together. Once I had sewn the fleece to the wrong side of the main fabric, I simply assembled the pants using the pattern instructions. All in all it worked out really well! There’s a little extra bulk in the crotch seam but they’re loose fitting pants so it’s not really noticeable.
These tiny pants are one of my favorite things I’ve made for Miss E. Hindsight; I wish I’d have bought 4 yards of that floral print. I used every last scrap of it, and when I went back to Joanne’s to get more it was sold out…heartbreaking. I still have those pants out in the storage shed but they’re a size 3T, and they’re still a little too big for Miss P.
Next up on my sewing list is a few circle skirts for Miss E. She’s been begging me for some new circle skirts to twirl around in, and I certainly don’t mind obliging her.