It has been a very long weekend. My better half went on a 2 day 2 night hiking trip to the mountains, and the very first night he was gone my “bad case of allergies” turned out to be a full blown cold; fever, aches, sore throat, coughing, sneezing… the works. Jude had gone to my parents house to spend the night with his cousin Jack but I still had the two little ones with me. I don’t bring this up as an excuse to complain… well that’s not entirely true. My reasons for mentioning it are two-fold, 1. To complain (it was really really hard!), and 2. To brag about Jude a little.
When my dad dropped Jude off late Saturday afternoon I have to be honest I was thinking, “Oh no! Another little body to take care of.” He completely surprised me. For the first time I realized that he was not just another body to take care of. He was ready and willing to help out and pull his weight. Jude took care of Gideon and Eliza, he brought me glasses of water, picked up all the toys in the living room, and helped get everyone ready for bed. When I tucked him in bed that night I told him that Daddy would be proud of him for taking good care of me. What a little man!
What does all of that have to do with sewing? Not much really. Only that this is the post I had planned on typing up all weekend but was too under the weather. Justin is home now so I am able to rest and recover.
So here it is. The sewing post~
Some of you might remember this little dress I made for Eliza back at the beginning of summer. I am trying to stick to my “try it twice” rule so I made another one for her, and I am so pleased with the way it turned out. The pattern went much more smoothly the second time around and I was able to make a few changes to the neckline.
I found this beautiful vintage inspired polka dot material (it is Moda fabric but I’m not sure what line it came from) at a quilt store in Tucson. I paired it with the blue and cream check and added natural colored rick-rack. The pattern is McCall’s M5830 and I made Eliza the large size. She is 18 months and it fits her well, but I wouldn’t have wanted it any smaller.
I love sewing for Eliza. It’s so fun and satisfying. When I sew for her I don’t chose complicated or time consuming patterns for several reasons: 1. I’m a beginner, and 2. She will grow out of them so quickly that it wouldn’t be worth the effort. Having a small assortment of easy to assemble and versatile patterns is key. There is an art, or knack to seeing the potential a pattern might have. Sometimes the pictures on the pattern jacket can look dated or boring. Choosing the right material and trim can make a so-so pattern into something really special.
These are a just a few more projects I have lined up for Eliza~
Some fabric combos I have picked out to make her a couple of pinafore style dresses for fall. I am using a sun dress pattern but I am going to make it a size smaller so it will fit more like a shirt. I thought it would look good over a solid colored long sleeved Tee and dark jeans. I was hoping to have them cut out this weekend but it just wasn’t in the cards!
I also had fun making some gifts to take to a baby shower. Friends of ours are looking forward to the birth of their first grandchild (a baby girl) and the shower was this past Thursday.
And, as something new; I made a stack of flannel and terry cloth wash clothes. I don’t know why I haven’t thought of it before! Such a pretty and practical gift. I used 6.5 inch squares of left over flannel and bought some pink terry cloth on sale a Beverly’s.
Here is how I make the flower Onesies~
7. Last but not least, place the flower on top of the leaves and secure onto the Onesie with a needle and thread. Oh I almost forgot; washing instructions- wash on gentle cycle with like colors, DO NOT bleach, and tumble dry on low heat. The edges of the flower will not fray but they will curl up a bit after it was been washed and dried.
I also squeezed in a little project for me. I had seen some fun sewing projects featured on some of the sewing blogs I read, made out of patchwork pieces and I was inspired to try one myself.
The pattern has a giant bow tied to the bottom of the strap but I decided to dress it up with some fabric rose pins. I have seen these fabric roses all over Etsy and had been searching for a free tutorial online with little success. All of the tutorials were very involved (precise cutting, ironing, folding, lots of hand stitching) and most had very mixed results. I’m sorry but let’s be reasonable; you can’t just call any misshapen rolled up piece of fabric a “flower”. It needs to actually resemble a flower. But I found this tutorial and decided to give it a try.